Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A long-running love affair

Since finding out about the Liang Bua hominid way back in 2008 or so (when National Geographic put out their special on it), I've had a continual obsession with Homo Floresiensis - a tiny human who shared it's isolated island home with Komodo Dragons, dwarf stegodons, giant storks... an un-endingly bizarre and fascinating world! Like any good romance, my relationship with Flores Woman has it's moments of intense passion, but generally is a a slow burn of idle fascination.

This romance heated up recently for a school project, where I painted some pieces for a dummy magazine article. The opening spread: A band of Homo Floresiensis fend off a Giant Maribou Stork from their kill, a stegodon calf.
Flores Man

The inside spread is also an infographic, an attempt on my part to explore some of the fascinating anatomical weirdness of Homo Floresiensis.
interior-spread-cropped


If any of that tickled your fancy, I've included a link to a slideshow of all my homo floresiensis sketches and such from my photostream:

No comments: